Racine Police Department
Reason for Announcement:
Maintain continuous preventative patrol in assigned area of the City, patrolling residential and/or business areas for detection of violators, initiating contacts with both business operators and residents, and maintaining open communications within the community.
Lateral Transfer Program Details:
The Racine Police Department has initiated a lateral employment program for qualified full-time sworn law enforcement officers. The program is designed to recognize the value of those applicants who have law enforcement experience by providing salary and pay incentives commensurate with an applicant’s law enforcement experience. Applicants must meet all established pre-employment minimum requirements, as well as successfully complete all testing, screening and background screening components. To be eligible for the lateral entry program, the applicant must have/had powers of lawful arrest and authorized to carry a weapon in addition to the following minimum requirements.
1. Employed as a full time and active law enforcement officer within the United States.
2. Must be continuously employed full-time for two years (excluding military service).
3. Successful completion of ALL stages of the hiring process as defined by the City of Racine Police and Fire Commission.
4. For out of state lateral applicants, successful completion of the State of Wisconsin designated testing in lieu of attending a Wisconsin Law Enforcement Officer Training Academy. Failure to successfully complete the testing prior to the Police and Fire Commission Interview will be removed from the Lateral Entry Program.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
1. Starting salary consistent with years of experience (rounded down to a whole number) in the Association contract. Example: An officer with 3 years and 4 months of service lateralling would receive a starting wage of an Association member with 3 years’ experience.
2. Vacation time consistent with years of experience (rounded down to a whole number) in the Association contract. Example: An officer with 7 years and 11 months of service lateralling would receive earned vacation pay of an Association member with 7 years’ experience (15 days).
3. The field training program may include great flexibility in accordance with the lateral officer’s ability to adjust to the new program.
4. Seniority rights begin upon the date of hire at the City.
5. Probationary period will be 12 months.
- Clothing Allowance
- Deferred Compensation
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Holidays
- Sick Leave
- Wisconsin Retirement Fund
- Ability to handle several tasks simultaneously
- Ability to perform essential functions of this position
- Ability to possess a firearm
- Ability to use all standard law enforcement equipment
- Able to work evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Clear and concise speech
- Good driving record
- Good physical condition
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- No domestic abuse convictions
- No felony convictions
- React quickly and effectively to stressful situations
- U.S. citizen
- Vision correctable to 20/20
- Minimum Age:
- Applicants can apply at 20 years of age.
- Background Check
- Drug Screening
- Medical Examination
- Oral Interviews
- Physical Fitness/Agility Screening
- Psychological Examination
- Written Exam
How to Apply:
730 Center Street
Racine, WI 53403