Community Service Officer
Sturgeon Bay Police Dept
This is an ongoing recruitment application process. The preferred candidate would be one enrolled in an accredited Associate's or Bachelor's degree college program, carrying at least a 9 credit semester load.
Reason for Announcement:
Duties performed by Community Service Officers include, but are not limited to: * Controls animals, captures stray dogs and cats, attempts to locate owners of strays, and impounds strays when owners cannot be located. * Enforces select city ordinances through use of warnings, compliance warnings, and citations. Investigates reports of ordinance violations and takes enforcement action. *Performs frequent security checks of businesses, city parks and vacation checks on homes. *Controls vehicle traffic at accidents, special events, incident locations, and other times when manual traffic control is required. *Enforces ordinances and state statutes related to parking and issues parking citations while patroling city streets and business parking lots for violations. *Assists with crowd control at special events, accidents, fire scenes, etc... *Handles traffic and road hazards and assists stranded motorists. *Investigates found property reports and properly inventories and secures found property including abandoned bicycles. *Performing or assisting officers with vehicular escorts for funeral processions and wide loads. *Performing errands for officers and civilian inspecting vehicles for defect notice compliance. *Other clerical and support duties assigned by the department. *Investigate animal neglect and abuse incidents. *Serves municipal court subpoenas to witnesses. *Delivering/setting up/removing barricades, signs and setting up perimeters for temporary security areas or special events. *Providing supplemental patrol of downtown areas during summer months including foot and bicycle patrol.
- Ability to handle several tasks simultaneously
- Ability to perform essential functions of this position
- Ability to use all standard law enforcement equipment
- Able to work evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Clear and concise speech
- Driver's license
- Good driving record
- Good physical condition
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge and skills in operating computer systems
- No domestic abuse convictions
- No felony convictions
- U.S. citizen
- Minimum Age:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to understand and follow written policies, procedures, and city ordinances.
- Ability to interact professionally with a wide variety of citizens in varied settings, including stressful and emergency situations.
- Proactive work ethic, ability to work effectively with relatively minimal direct supervision.
- Background Check
- Drug Screening
- Medical Examination
- Oral Interviews
How to Apply:
421 Michigan Street
Sturgeon Bay, WI 54235