River Falls Police Dept
Reason for Announcement:
1. Must work with various cultural and socio-economic communities and establish and maintain strong working relationships with City staff and other agencies.
2. Communicate clearly when operating radio, telephone, and dictation equipment, and in personal interaction with employees of a police department, governmental agencies, other law enforcement agencies and the public.
3. Handles arrest situations and procedures, including but not limited to determining violation and planning method of arrest; apprehending or arresting suspects; issuing citations; searching and booking suspects; transporting arrested persons; and providing appropriate warnings.
4. Conducts initial and follow-up investigations, including but not limited to interviewing witnesses, suspects, victims, etc.; gathering information; interrogating suspects; taking statements; conducting searches and pursuing possible leads or other information sources.
5. Prepare and complete investigative and other reports using appropriate grammar, spelling, and may include sketches, symbols, and mathematical computations.
6. Perform lawful searches of people, vehicles, buildings, and large outdoor areas which may involve seeing and detecting, standing, or walking for long periods of time.
7. Interacts with victims, witnesses, survivors, and outside agencies, including but not limited to briefing citizens, notifying family of victims; and referring victims to appropriate agencies. Able to do this with understanding, tact, compassion, sensitivity and courtesy and professionalism.
8. Must maintain a working knowledge and proficiency in all department equipment, including firearms, ammunition, police vehicles, communications, batons, flashlights, preliminary breath testing devices, intoxilyzer, armored vest, cameras, radar, evidence collection and preservation equipment, first aid, protective masks, fire extinguishers, drug testing, laptop computers, and basic functioning of the department’s computer system.
9. Must protect confidential and sensitive information.
10. Perform activities including problem solving and making the public aware of special areas of concern such as, delinquency, drug abuse, crime prevention, child abuse, and traffic safety through education, public speaking, and presentations.
11. Practices a community policing and problem-solving philosophy.
12. Controls scene of motor vehicle crashes and establishes proper priority at scene, including but not limited to establishing key events; administering emergency aid; informing persons of reporting procedures; preparing field sketches and scale diagrams; and directing traffic.
13. Performs such other duties as are consistent with the tasks of the position and as may be assigned by the City.
- Clothing Allowance
- Deferred Compensation
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Holidays
- Sick Leave
- Wisconsin Retirement Fund
- Ability to handle several tasks simultaneously
- Ability to perform essential functions of this position
- Ability to possess a firearm
- Ability to use all standard law enforcement equipment
- Able to work evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Clear and concise speech
- Driver's license
- Eligibility for Wisconsin Law Enforcement Standards Board Certification
- Good driving record
- Good physical condition
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge and skills in operating computer systems
- No domestic abuse convictions
- No felony convictions
- React quickly and effectively to stressful situations
- U.S. citizen
- Vision correctable to 20/20
- Minimum Age:
- Background Check
- Drug Screening
- Medical Examination
- Oral Interviews
- Physical Fitness/Agility Screening
- Psychological Examination
- Written Exam
How to Apply:
222 Lewis Street
River Falls, WI 54022